The rain has arrived and the Summer weather looks to be over. Time to introduce you all to some hearty recipes from Meat Box 3 that will make the colder days a bit more enjoyable.
Chicken, Sausage and White Bean Stew (Good Housekeeping)
Photo Credit - Mike Garten
Protein packed hearty stew with slow cooked chicken, sausage and beans.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 4 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g Chorizo sausage
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cans of cannellini beans
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Heat oven to 170°C. Heat oil in large casserole dish on medium. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Turn and cook 3 minutes more. Transfer to plate.
- Add sausages to dish and cook until brown (6 to 8 minutes). Transfer to cutting board; let cool before slicing.
- Add bacon to dish and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crisp (8 to 10 minutes). With slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of fat in dish.
- Add onion and 1/4 tsp salt to dish and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender (5 to 6 minutes). Add carrots and celery and cook 3 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- In small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, garlic, and thyme and set aside. Stir beans and broth into dish along with chicken, sausage, and bacon and sprinkle with crumb mixture.
- Bake until chicken is fork-tender and stew has thickened, about 1 1/2 hours. Heat under the grill for a few minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve.
Balsamic Brown Sugar Lamb Chops (Grandbaby Cakes)
A delicious lamb chops recipe that is incredibly sweet and full of flavour.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 Lamb Chops
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Optional: Fresh parsley for garnish
Add olive oil to pan and heat over medium high heat. Season lamb chops on each side with salt and pepper to taste.
Once the pan is hot, sear the chops on each side for up to 2 minutes then remove chops from pan and let rest.
Turn the heat down to medium low. Add minced garlic to the pan and cook for one minute making sure you don’t burn it.
Whisk in brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Allow the sauce to thicken.
Add chops back into the pan, baste with sauce and continue to cook the chops until they are at your level of desired doneness. Remove chops from pan and place on serving platter.
Garnish with parsley and serve.
Chilli Con Carne Lasgne (delicious)
Two of the most loved cuisines come together in this mouth-watering dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 650g minced beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 400g can kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander, plus extra to serve
- 375g packet fresh lasagne sheets
- 150g cheddar, grated
- 200g sour cream
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery, onion, carrot and garlic, then cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes until softened and lightly golden. Add mince and cook, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon, for 5-6 minutes until browned. Add spices and tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add tomatoes, beans and 1/2 cup (125ml) water and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes or until thickened. Stir in coriander and season.
- Lay one-third of the lasagne sheets in a single layer over the base of a deep 20cm x 30cm baking dish, trimming to fit, then spoon over half the chilli. Repeat the layers, then finish with a layer of lasagne sheets. Combine the cheese and sour cream in a bowl and season, then spoon evenly over the top.
- Bake the lasagne for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbling. Scatter with extra coriander leaves and serve.